A Repost via LACBC
CITY TO CUT ALL BIKE PROJECTS!
URGENT ALERT!!! LADOT THREATENS TO CUT ALL BIKE PROJECTS, EVEN THE WHOLE BIKEWAYS DEPARTMENT!!
NEED CYCLISTS TO ATTEND AND GIVE PUBLIC COMMENT TO CITY COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY May 18, 10 am! Get there by 9:30am to sign up for public comment.
WHEN: Monday, May 18, 10:00AM
WHERE: City Hall Council Chambers. 200 N. Spring Street 90012, Room 340
Los Angeles is facing a perilous budget crisis. All city departments are being asked to submit plans on how they will cut spending, and LADOT have proposed to eliminate the entire Bikeways staff. Not just lay off some people, but cut it altogether.
A May 4th Inter-departmental Correspondence titled Shared Responsibility and Sacrifice signed by LADOT General Manager Rita Robinson and addressed to the Budget and Finance Committee, contains the following text under the heading, Transit Capital Programming:
"Discontinue bikeways function, including bicycle path maintenance, bicycle programs, and school bicycle and transit education. Discontinue work on Safe Routes to School."
Numerous bicycle projects are underway which will be curtailed or compromised by this short-sighted move, including:
• The update of the city's bicycle plan, already behind schedule.
• Numerous bike lane projects.
• The Expo Bikeway, in which the city must complete its environmental review by the end of the year (to keep pace with the light rail project) or the bikeway may be delayed for years.
• The Sharrows study, which should lead to an implementation plan for this much-needed bikeway enhancement.
Some talking points:
• With more people riding bikes than ever before, with a vibrant cycling culture developing and with congestion and climate change consequences screaming at us, this is exactly the wrong time to cut the entire bikeways staff
• If you think cycling doesn't get enough attention in Los Angeles now, wait until we have no staff at all to look out for our needs.
ATTEND THE MEETING ON MONDAY!!! NEED TO BE THERE IN NUMBERS!!